Florida Road Bridge Project
For immediate release:
November 6, 2023
MassDOT Advisory: Maynard
Florida Road Bridge over the Assabet River Reopens
Bridge reopened at 11:30 a.m. today
MAYNARD – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing the Florida Road Bridge over the Assabet River in the town of Maynard was re-opened to travel today at 11:30 a.m.
The bridge had been closed since last December 2022 to allow construction operations to take place as part a $3.4 million bridge replacement project.
During MassDOT scheduled construction work, drivers are encouraged to plan ahead. For information on traffic conditions travelers are encouraged to:
- Download the Mass511 mobile app or visit www.mass511.com to view live cameras, travel times, real-time traffic conditions, and project information before setting out on the road. Users can subscribe to receive text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
- Dial 511 and select a route to hear real-time conditions.
- Follow @MassDOT on X, (formerly known as Twitter), to receive regular updates on road and traffic conditions.
Florida Road will be closed at the bridge site beginning December 13, 2022 for the duration of the construction project (approximately two years). Abutter access will be maintained throughout construction.
The Florida Road Bridge Replacement is a collaboration between the Town of Maynard, MassDOT's Highway Division and the Federal Highway Administration. The existing bridge, constructed in 1915, has several structural issues including:
- Deficient Concrete Arch
- Barriers on Bridge Unsafe for Vehicular Impact
- Deteriorated Sidewalks with Small Curb Reveals
- Narrow Roadway/Shoulders
- Horizontal and Vertical Curves
- Poor Sight Distance
The new bridge will be a replacement of the entire structure with crash-tested railings and end posts, new sidewalks improved drainage, replacement of sections of water and sewer mains in the bridge area and the relocation of utility poles and overhead wires.
All Town residents and visitors of the area around the Florida Road bridge reconstruction project (including the waters of the Assabet River) should take caution when in the vicinity of the bridge reconstruction project. The area around the bridge is an active construction work zone and access into the work zone is not allowed by non-construction personnel. This work zone includes the section of the Assabet River immediately around the bridge. All persons should be cautious around this area and not enter the construction work zone for any reason.
- Florida Road will be closed at the bridge site during construction
- Traffic detour will include Main Street Summer Street and Nason Street
- Bicycle and pedestrian Access will be maintained during construction on the Assabet River Rail Trail and Summer Street.
- Abutter access maintained throughout construction
- The Florida Court municipal parking lot will be unavailable to the public during the construction period.
- Design Public Hearing Presentation (February 13, 2020) (PDF)
- Maynard Alteration Sheet (May 14, 2021) (PDF)