Town Meeting Procedures – May 15, 2021
In order to provide a safer environment for attendees due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s Annual Town Meeting will be very different than in the past.
Maynard has scheduled the Annual Town Meeting for Saturday, May 15th at 12 PM in the Mill & Main parking lot off of Sudbury Street.
The format of the meeting will be “Drive-in Movie Style” with cars parked in every other space and in staggered rows to accommodate social distancing.
Residents are encouraged to review background materials on the Town Meeting page prior to the meeting.
Arrival & Registration
To minimize congestion on Sudbury Street, automobiles will be routed through the parking lot for voter registration.
Early arrival is encouraged due to a slower than normal registration process.
Drivers will remain in their cars for voter registration. Wearing a mask during registration will be required.
We will distribute a packet (bag) with procedural instructions and materials at registration, and then you will be directed to a parking spot. Inactive voters will be routed to a special table to update their status, and then directed to a parking space.
Walk-ins will also join the queue and be directed to a registration table, and then to a socially-distant, limited seating area in the front.
Parking will start at Row 3 and fill in from right to left (see map layout).
Rows 1 & 2 are reserved for scheduled speakers to avoid slowing down the meeting.
How Long Will the Meeting Last?
We are working to streamline the meeting by combining votes and limiting presentations. Our hope is to complete the meeting within two and a half hours.
Attendees are advised that limited rest rooms will only be available for emergencies so please plan accordingly before leaving home.
How to Hear the Meeting: Your Car Radio
Audio of the meeting will be available on car radios using a dedicated FM channel at 97.3 on the radio dial.
The meeting will also be broadcast on WAVM at 91.7 on the dial.
To know if you have the right channel, America the Beautiful and God Bless America will be playing prior to the start of the meeting.
At registration, each voter will be given an instruction package. This package contains:
- Numbered Ballot
- Colored Voting Card
- Voting Schedule
- This Instruction Sheet
- Supplemental Article Info & Map
- FinCom Supplemental Explanations
- Printouts of Powerpoint Presentations
Additional Meeting Information
- Rain Date: Sunday, May 16, Noon at Mill & Main parking lot.
- There is limited seating for walk-ins under the tent up front.
- There are limited restrooms up front to the left.
- Face masks must be worn when outside of your automobile.
- If you can’t wear a mask for health reasons, you must park in Row 20 for your own protection (a police officer will be pleased to direct you).
- Articles will be moved by the Select Board Chair, a FinCom recommendation, and in some cases a Planning Board recommendation.
- Brief remarks by the Select Board Chair representing the Article’s Sponsor who will also reference the printed material in your packet.
- The moderator will open the article for discussion (comments and questions).
- To be recognized for a comment or question, open your window and hold up the colored voter card.
- A runner will come to your automobile with a portable, extended (boom) microphone and you will be recognized by the moderator. (Note: please do not touch the microphone to avoid repeated cleaning.)
- Please make comments and questions short and to the point. We ask this as a consideration of the unusual circumstances of this meeting.
In order to keep the number of votes to a minimum, the moderator will consolidate votes.
- A consent calendar will be used on typically non-controversial articles. Please refer to the Voting Schedule in your package for these votes.
- To remove an article from the consent calendar, please hold up your colored voter card while motion is read.
- Removed articles will be voted separately.
- Other articles shall be discussed individually, however, to speed up the meeting, several articles shall be voted together that have similar passage requirements. Please refer to the Voting Schedule in your package for these votes.
- To remove an article from the combined vote, please hold up your colored voter card while motion is read.
- Removed articles will be voted separately.
Open Majority Votes
Open voting will be done by cards. Please hold your voting card as high as practical in order to be seen.
- Moderator will call for a vote of those in favor, open your window and hold up your colored voter card.
- Moderator will call for a vote of those opposed, open your window and hold up your colored voter card.
Secret Ballot Votes
- Moderator will state ballot numbers and ask you to mark your ballot.
- Ballots will be collected at your automobile using extended baskets by the collectors. Please drop ballot in face down and unfolded to speed counting. (Note: Please do not touch the basket.)
- Please do not leave your motor running unnecessarily. Use your heater or A/C only as needed.
- Please do not honk your horn.
- Please stay in your automobile.
- Please hold your voting card as high as practical in order to be seen.
- Both driveways will be available for exiting.
- If you have been recently ill, have a fever or exposed to COVID-19 in the last 14 days, please be aware of the risk to you and others. Should you plan to attend, please note a special section has been reserved for you at Rows 15 & 16.
- There will be limited rest room capability. There will be numerous hand washing and sanitizing stations available, which we encourage you to use as needed.