Hometown Heroes – Phase 3
What are Hometown Heroes?
Town of Maynard launched the program in 2019 called “Hometown Heroes.” The objective of the Hometown Heroes is to create banners that will be hung in Maynard honoring Maynard Veterans and Active-Duty military men and women.
Veterans honored through the Hometown Heroes program are defined per Title 38 of the Code of Federal Regulations as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.” Per the VA.org website, “This definition explains that any individual that completed a service for any branch of armed forces classifies as a veteran as long as they were not dishonorably discharged.”
Any Maynard-based Veteran, whether native or new resident, is welcome to be part of the Hometown Heroes Program. If the Veteran or Active Military person were born and raised in Maynard but does not currently reside in Maynard would also qualify.
Display Duration & Location
The Town of Maynard displays the banners annually from May – November. The location of where the banners are displayed are at the discretion of the Town.
Number of Displays & Rotation Schedule
The Hometown Heroes Committee and Town of Maynard have designated 46 poles located downtown Maynard for the veterans Killed in Action (KIA). During Phase III, we will have additional electric poles that are outfitted with brackets for our banners.
Display Installation & Schedule Management
The Maynard Hometown Heroes Committee will maintain a record of the banners we display each year. The Maynard DPW will be responsible for installing, removing, and storing the banners and American flags.
How to Participate
- Complete a Hometown Heroes Banner Application. You can download the application form or you can also pick up application forms at the Town Hall, Library, Maynard-Clinton Lodge of Elks, and Maynard Council on Aging office.
- Submit your form and a Hometown Hero service photo to Maynard Hometown Heroes Committee at Town of Maynard, 195 Main St. Maynard, MA 01754. Electronic photo
- is preferred if possible. Please email the photo to the Hometown Heroes Committee.
- The Hometown Heroes Committee will input the photo and record the information from your form into our records to create your requested banner. Once we have captured all your banner information, we will contact you so you may pick up your photos at the Maynard Town Hall.
Applications for Phase III will be taken until March 31, 2023.
- $200.00 – includes the following:
- 3’ x 5’ US Flag Kit (Flag & Hardware & Pole)
- HTH Banner – 2’ x 4’
- RODFLEX JR Bracket Kit w/ Black Ban
Contact Information & Submit Forms
Town of Maynard C/O: Maynard Hometown Heroes Banner Program
195 Main Street
Maynard, MA 01754
Make Checks Payable to: Town of Maynard C/O Hometown Heroes Banner Program