Special Permits

What is a Special Permit?

A Special Permit is required where/when it is deemed desirable by the Town to ensure a site specific review for a particular use or activity. Uses requiring a Special Permit can be found in the Zoning By-laws

Who Grants a Special Permit?

Maynard’s Special Permit Granting Authorities (SPGAs) are the Planning Board, the Zoning Board of Appeals and in some cases, the Select Board.

How do I apply for a Special Permit?

The Office of Municipal Services can help you determine if a Special Permit is required for your use/activity. Town staff is happy to assist you in reviewing what is required for a complete application and guide you through the Special Permit process.

Is a Special Permit always granted?

No. The SPGA will evaluate each request against the criteria for Special Permit issuance as found in the Zoning By-laws. Although, the staff can usually tell you ahead of time if a Special Permit is likely to be granted, nothing should be taken for granted. When signing a lease or other contract, it is a good idea to include a contingency in case a Special Permit is not granted. A Special Permit often contains “conditions of approval” to ensure any potential negative effects of the use are mitigated.

Further information

For further information call the Office of Municipal Services at 978-897-1302 or visit https://www.townofmaynard-ma.gov/municipal-services/.