Opening a Marijuana Business

Who needs a Marijuana License?

Any business that sells, stores, distributes, cultivates, manufactures, serves or delivers marijuana and/or marijuana products.

Is the location suitable for your business?

Site specific zoning information can be obtained from the Building Commissioner.

Will I need Site Plan Review? 

The Building Commissioner will advise you if Site Plan Approval is necessary for your project. Most projects without exterior improvements do not require Site Plan Approval.

Obtain a Business Certificate

See Business Certificates

What permits will I need?

Where and how do I get a License for Marijuana?

Obtaining a Marijuana License requires multiple steps. Approvals are required from the Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission (MCCC), the Select Board (SB), and the Planning Board. The licensing process is as follows:

  1. Complete the appropriate online application on the MCCC’s website ( 
  2. Through the SB Office request to negotiate a “Host Community Agreement”. The request will be scheduled as an agenda item for a SB meeting. 
  3. Upon agreement, the SB Office will forward the Host Agreement to the MCCC for its approval. 
  4. A Special Permit from the Planning Board approving the proposed location is required for all Marijuana Uses. Once the SB has executed the Host Community Agreement, a hearing may be scheduled through the Office of Municipal Services to request a Special Permit hearing. 

Schedule a plan review with the Fire Department

See Fire Department.

Further information

For further information call the Select Board office at 978-897-1351 or see Select Board.